If I have symptoms of the coronavirus, should I continue using my CPAP?
If you have symptoms of the coronavirus, you should isolate yourself in a separate bedroom and use a separate bathroom, if available. In this “recovery room,” you can continue to use CPAP while you sleep alone. Be sure to follow these steps for routine CPAP care:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before and after handling the CPAP device, mask, tubing and filters.
- Clean your CPAP equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Change filters and accessories as directed in your CPAP user guide.
- Avoid letting anyone smoke in your home, especially around the CPAP machine.
- Keep pets away from your CPAP machine.
- Use distilled water in your humidifier to keep the tub clean.
**Get medical attention immediately if you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19. Emergency warning signs include trouble breathing and persistent pain or pressure in the chest.
After you are free from the coronavirus, replace your CPAP filters and disposable accessories.